Sunday, July 13, 2008

Prof'n'Stein with Professor Oschwald

Last Friday night, I did my civic duty and participated in an "emergency" Prof'n'Stein. For those who do not know (and I expect that's most of you), a Prof'n'Stein is a Friday evening gathering of seminary students and faculty to enjoy a cache of well-chosen libations and listen to one of the faculty wax on a topic of interest to the student body. I have been told that these "monologues" are usually light fare. Last time, Dr. Voelz spoke on his thesis that one should not model himself as a pastor after Saint Paul because "Saint Paul wasn't a pastor".

Although I missed the regularly scheduled Prof'n'Stein a couple of weeks ago, I was motivated by the urgent "call to arms" published in the daily announcements. Apparently, someone had purchased too many refreshments for the most recent "new student" reception - something had to be done before the stores spoiled! (How bottles would "go bad" is beyond me, but mine is not to reason why...)


Pictured above is Dr. Jeffrey Oschwald presenting his thesis to the assembly. As you can see, he was expressing his desire to see the "libation of choice" for the Prof'n'Stein events changed to Port. Recognizing that this would necessitate a change in the name of the event, Dr. Oschwald suggested "Port-a-Prof".

No comments: