Thursday, July 17, 2008

Health Issues and the Seminary Doctor

Although most of the posts so far have taken the form of "diary entries" chronicling our family activities, I want to be sure that this blog "covers the waterfront" for those thinking to prepare for the ministry at Concordia - St. Louis. Naturally, our "activities" from the other entries do provide some insights into what families, children and spouses can do for entertainment here at CSL, but there are some other aspects of the seminary community that deserve attention.

Although I already plan to prepare postings on the Food Bank, the Re-Sell It Shop, the Kingdom Movers, Friday Evening BBQs, and other features of the life here on campus, I think it best to introduce them in the form of narratives springing from our own experiences. The past three weeks has presented such an opportunity.

About three weeks ago, a "lump", "bump" or similarly obvious physical deformation showed up on my body. Without being graphic, let me say that the bump's location and the discomfort that developed along with it led me to believe I might have a hernia. Unfortunately, this concern developed right before "moving day". It may seem very unwise in retrospect, but I was not comfortable letting everyone else move my household goods into our apartment without helping. So I put off making an appointment to see the doctor. (More on this decision later.)

The next week would have been a great opportunity to see the doctor, but we had scheduled to pick up and install a dryer that has been loaned to us by another seminary family that will be gone during the next year on their vicarage assignment. So any plans for a medical examination were now delayed by another week.

Why this delay? Aren't there seven days in a week during which to schedule doctors appointments? Yes, there are. For those of you who have moved from area to area, from job to job, and from insurance to insurance, you know that lining up a new set of "professionals" (e.g. doctors, accountants, lawyers, financial advisers, whatever) does not happen right away nor does it happen overnight. Moreover, without a physician selected and a with very full academic schedule occupying my time, it was difficult to do the necessary research and office visits to comfortably select a doctor. Finally, with a non-group insurance plan, you can imagine that the expense of a hospital visit would lead to unwelcome "progress" in paying off our annual deductible.

But the seminary does provide its students, faculty and staff with alternatives: Carla Hagan, our campus nurse, and Dr. Lautenschlager, the seminary's volunteer doctor. Although I had discussed the matter with Nurse Hagan after two weeks had elapsed since the "bump" appeared, we had agreed that the circumstance did not warrant an immediate hospital visit and could wait for a doctors appointment. Unfortunately, the doctor is available for appointments only one day per week, so there was an additional delay waiting for his scheduled office hours.

Well, it turns out that I don't have a hernia, which is good because the surgical procedure required to repair a hernia would be costly and the post-op recovery might interfere with my attendance on campus. What I do have is an enlarged lymph node... how pleasant!

Unfortunately, that's just the symptom; we don't have a diagnosis yet. In the end, the doctor cleared me for whatever activities I could tolerate comfortably (a swollen lymph node does "get in the way" in ways you would not expect until you start sitting in a chair most of the day), put me on an antibiotic, and ordered a blood test be performed. I guess I will just have to keep you posted as the situation develops...

In the meantime, I appreciate your prayers that the doctors and other medical professionals would practice their craft with all of the knowledge and wisdom granted them by Our Father.

No comments: