Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Christ Lutheran Church - Noblesville, IN - 22 June 2008


Homecoming! This past weekend, my parents picked me up from St. Louis and we drove together over to Noblesville, Indiana for the biannual Muller family reunion. For those of you who are quick to put the pieces together, Noblesville is also where my wife and kids are staying with Heather's parents. So the best part of the weekend was visiting my immediate family!
This visit afforded my family the opportunity to join with the congregation of Christ Lutheran in Noblesville to worship our Creator, Redeemer and Sanctifier. This is the congregation where I was confirmed in the faith and at which I maintained my membership until Heather and I moved to California after graduating from Purdue. Although the "face" of the congregation has changed considerably since I last visited, it was a great blessing to see so many familiar faces.

The congregation worshipped God according to the order of Matins in the Lutheran Service Book and Rev. Adrian Piazza proclaimed the sermon, which was titled "Servants of Righteousness" and based on Romans 6:12-23. I was especially thankful for Rev. Piazza's preaching that the "freedom" won for us in Christ is not a liberty for us to "do as we please", which would be nothing more than indulging our sinful nature. Our "freedom" is that, as we are forgiven in Christ, we are now free to live as our loving Creator made us to be, bringing glory to him and demonstrating His love towards everyone around us. (I asked if Rev. Piazza had been reading Luther's Bondage of the Will to prepare for the sermon; he said "no".)

No comments: