Monday, March 9, 2009

Back from Togo

A copy of the email sent to my immediate family about my return follows. The blog for my notes mentioned in the letter below is found at http://journalingoutofafrica.blogspot.com/

"Family,

I returned home safely and on-time yesterday. I was not (and still am not) in a state of mind to write a meaningful "here's how it went" email, but I wanted to let you know that I am back safely.

Here's a short takeaway from the experience: The church in Africa is, in all the ways that truly matter, just like the church here. You can point to particular issues and challenges that are unique to or aggravated by the African context, but it doesn't take much thinking to realize that we have our own particular issues and challenges that are unique to or aggravated by our American context. The language is often different; the idiom definitely is; the cultural norms vary widely. However, the One we have in common binds us together in a way that transcends culture as he enters directly through his word, his body and his blood. I'll have more to write on this when I finally get around to it, but that's going to have to wait.

I took too many pictures to fit on the camera and my flash drive didn't make it on the trip with me; so my pictures ended up on Dr. Schumacher's computer. In fact, all of our pictures did; Dr. Schumacher is going to distribute the whole set (i.e. pictures, sound files, a few videos files) on a CD. Unfortunately, Dr. Schumacher is with his wife in Switzerland for a week (she works in the international school there and he visits regularly); so I am without the means to tell an effective story until he returns. I'm planning to post a very slightly redacted version of my twenty-two pages of notes in the form of a blog over the coming days and weeks; that'll probably be the best way to get the story telling started. I will welcome your questions, especially if you will post them the blog so I can answer them for everyone at the same time.

May the peace of Christ remain with you all in the coming days!

Brian

PS: David, although many years have passed, Glenn did remember you. I passed your greetings (as I assumed you would have wished me to). You were right: that guy has a lot going on upstairs."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brian, looking forward to your reading about your Togo experience and seeing the photos...after you resettle into seminary and home life.
Tell Heather that the African pancake was neat and that "Raiders of the Lost Ark" pancakes should be no problem at all!
Love,
Mom