Friday, December 5, 2008

Intramural Volleyball ... and Everything Hurts

Concordia maintains a very active intramural sports program, and the students (along with a number of the faculty and staff) are active participants. The participants are sorted into a number of teams that participate in every sport together. (For example, I am on the "Papal Bulls" and my friend Terry is a member of the "Wolfensian Wolfpack".) Not that everyone on the team participates in every activity. Far from it! During the fall, the major team activities were ultimate frisbee and flag football. I did not participate in either of these; however, I did try to score a few points for my team by playing the chess tournament. (It did not go well... I knocked out my two teammates and then fell out of the tournament in the next round.)

Anyway, this quarter the big team sports are basketball and indoor volleyball. Although it's been years since I played indoor volleyball (the last time I played regularly was in California!), it sounded like a lot of fun. So I went out to play my first game with the Bulls last night.

Spouses can participate and family members who show up to support their team score participation points for the overall championship (scored across all sports) each quarter. Heather, David and Emily showed up last night during the first game. Although I didn't play my best volleyball, David and Emily both came over to the sidelines when I rotated out to say "good job". That alone made the evening worth it!

It really was a great time! The matches are played in three games with rally scoring (i.e., every serve scores a point, the serve switches sides when you lose a point on your own serve). The first two games are played to 25 and the third (if needed) is played to 15. Our team won both of the first two games, and we played a third "game" without keeping score until the next teams showed up to take the court.

Unfortunately, I used some muscles I haven't used in a really long time! I've been sore all day. It might be easier to list the parts of my body that don't hurt! Sound like fun? It does to me... I'll be back at the field house next Thursday at 3:45 to abuse my body some more!

No comments: